Saturday, June 2, 2012

Culinary Adventures with Cam: Rhubarb

by Camilla M. Mann

Another great thing you'll see at farmers' markets in the springtime - something that looks like red celery on steroids. Don't be frightened. It's rhubarb! Ever since I first saw those bright ruby stalks pop up at the market last month, I have been buying them up by the armload and making everything from desserts to savory sauces and more desserts to cocktail fixings.

Nutritionally rhubarb, which is technically a vegetable but considered a fruit because of how it is typically used, contains a fair amount of potassium, vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and dietary fiber.

The season for these is fairly short on the central coast of California, so I hope that these recipes will inspire you to go out, grab some rhubarb, and get cooking.

As a main dish...

As a condiment...

To start your day...

To end a meal...

If you do experiment with rhubarb, I'd love to hear what you make. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to use seasonal fruits and vegetables. Feel free to email me at constantmotioncamilla at gmail dot com.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment